Asthma & the Clean Air Project
How does asthma affect the teenage body?
Students are challenged to assess the air quality of their home and community and provide remedies to promote community awareness and to help citizens understand the magnitude of the asthma problem.
The Main Objectives of this unit are:
- Analyze the respiratory system as it relates to disease and wellness;
- Compare relationships that exist between body systems;
- Perform a hands-on peak flow meter test, evaluate results, and discuss findings to better understand the respiratory system and asthma.
- Identify the risk factors that contribute to asthma severity;
- Understand health disparities related to asthma in the local community;
- Communicate with community stakeholders to address asthma as a public health issue.